Monday, May 19, 2014

Coconut Oil and Vocabulary

Evan has said a few words since he was about a year old, including mama and dada and hat, but he has not spoken lots of words, and very rarely does he say them on command. About a month ago I read an article about how coconut oil stimulates the brain and many children with developmental delays showed marked improvement in their vocabulary. After reading everything I could find on the internet (lots of google searches), I finally decided to give it a go. So instead of Pam or Crisco, I substituted coconut oil every time I cooked dinner for the family. Whether spraying the skillet with the aerosol brand or putting a tablespoon of the solid into the spaghetti noodles to keep them from sticking, I used it almost daily. I even let Evan take a bite off of the spoon from any residual coconut oil left on it. So he got uncooked and cooked coconut oil most days for the last three weeks (I read some article that said the uncooked was better). The results blew me away. It may just be coincidence, but he has started saying words on command and his vocabulary has exploded. He says words and even does new sign language for words I didn't think he knew. Just in the last few weeks he has said snack, all done, go, book, ball, mama & dada (on command when we walk in a room now), down, baby, Alex (his baby brother's name), bite, light (although he can't quite say the L yet so it sound like height), door, lion, and more. He repeats most words we say so we are always stating the word to whatever it is we are using or holding. He has also picked up the four month old baby's habit of whining, only it's a very fake cry when he wants more snacks or a drink from the fridge. Evan likes to sit in front of the fridge or cabinet and wait impatiently for an adult to open it for him. He goes straight for his water cup on the top shelf of the fridge or his favorite snacks in the cabinet, tossing the others aside until he finds the one he wants (usually the cheese puff looking Gerber snacks that are all veggies with vitamins and no sugar). I have also been giving him the cheese puff looking snacks that are brocoli and kale, which are also supposed to stimulate the brain. He tolerates one or two of these before throwing them across the room. As a huge skeptic on most things, I have to applaud nature's way of developing kids in a healthy and quick method. Two thumbs up for the coconut oil products!

1 comment: