
At the end of last school year, we wrote into the IEP (individualized education plan) that Evan must have a shadow with him at school at all times. The teacher and assistant teacher were just too busy with many other special needs kiddos to watch him constantly. He was eating crayons daily. He requires a lot of hand over hand interaction to perform activities. He has no sense of safety such as on the stairs or running off.
This year began with Evan having the best shadow I could have ever asked for. I had never met Hannah until meet the teacher day with Evan. She was obviously an angel sent from above. The two clicked and Evan loved going into school this year as soon as I said, "let's go find Hannah." For the past couple of years it was a wrestling match with an octopus trying to get Evan out of the car without him clutching the seat belt in a death grip. This year, he went right in with no issues at all. He smiled every day and reached up to take her hand to go to class.
Since that first day, I found out that Hannah lives down the road from us and goes to our church. We see her all the time now. She has become such a wonderful family friend. Both boys love her dearly. I was very concerned about next year with Evan attending a new school. He's been at the CDC for 3 years. He knew the routine. A new school, all new staff, and longer days were worrisome. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to find out last week that Hannah will be moving to Evan's new school with him to remain as his shadow. They click very well. She helps him communicate with his new device and keeps him on task. We love our Hannah!!
No comments:
Post a Comment