Wednesday, November 2, 2011

20 Week Ultrasound

We went for our 20 week ultrasound yesterday. Well, technically, I was 20 weeks 6 days. The baby measured right on schedule so our due date is still March 14 (National Pi Day). Since I am considered of advanced maternal age (over 35) this ultrasound was performed at the hospital's outpatient center at their high risk center.
We started the ultrasound by bringing 4 types of DVDs and 1 VHS, none of which were compatible with their machine. It takes a DVD+RW. I had every other kind of DVD, so we missed out on recording it. She wouldn't let us record it with our camera, but Vince did take a few still shots. Some of them were kind of weird and blurry since she was moving pretty fast, so we have no idea what some of these pictures are. Like this one. I think it's his legs.
She printed out several profile pictures and one of his legs. He even had his legs stretched way out at one point.
The scan consisted of looking at his brain, spine, heart, bones, and a few other things. She measured dark spots on the brain, the length of different parts of his spine, and the length of his big bones like femur, tibia, and humorous. It was neat when she turned on the heat sensor part of it to see red and blue colors indicating the flow of blood in and out of his heart. She looked at all the veins, ventricles, and valves. His heart rate was 137, same as last time. The entire procedure lasted about an hour, but it seemed to go by very quickly. He was very active the entire time. His position was breech, so his head is up near my ribs and his legs were on my left side. Vince did manage to snag this cool picture of him looking at the camera.

The doctor then met with us and said everything looked great. He said whatever my risk was that came back from my blood work, that I should double it. So if I was a 1 in 10,000 risk, it would be 1 in 20,000 instead. He put me in the lower high risk category and said I should be treated like any other pregnant lady. His only recommendations were to do my glucose screen earlier than 24 weeks and to have the baby around 39 weeks instead of waiting until 40 weeks.

I plan on having the baby whenever he's ready to come. So far my weight gain has been fine, my blood pressure is great, and I've had no issues. I go on Thursday to my regular doctor to have my official 20 week appointment. I'm now at 21 weeks today!

1 comment:

  1. I am SO sorry your DVD's weren't compatible :( I think its crazy that it only takes ONE kind and they don't tell you which one :(

    ReplyDelete