Monday, April 23, 2012

7 Weeks Old


It seems like I just typed that Evan was 6 weeks old. Time really does just speed up when you have a baby. I always thought I'd be one of those people that would be tired of staying home all the time and would enjoy going back to work. But I really have enjoyed being home with Evan. I haven't felt cabin fever at all. In just 4 more weeks, I'll be going back to work, unless we win the lottery between now & then.

Evan is really locking in on some of his toys this week. He grabs them, but mostly by mistake. When he does get hold of them, he tries to get his mouth on them to eat them. He mostly likes to look at our pictures on the wall or the ceiling fan. He makes great eye contact and will look towards the voice or noise that he hears. We're working on building strong neck and shoulder muscles by doing tummy time every day. I use the boppy pillow with him a lot for this. He can hold his neck up pretty good if he's not sleepy. If he's sleepy, he lays his head down & tries to chew the pillow.

If I prop a pillow up under him, he can roll from his stomach to his back, on either side. He just works those legs until he flips over. He cannot roll over yet if he's flat on his tummy or back.

His new hair growth is coming in more & more every day, along with his fingernails growing. I have to keep clipping them once or twice a week as he tends to scratch his face a lot. He also makes the cutest noises. Some sounds are like a little monkey, some like a pterodactyl, some like he's got a weird asthma inhalation, some is just fast breathing, some like he's saying hey, and lots of other little coos. He can also smack his lips so it sounds & looks like he's blowing kisses. He's done this since birth, mostly when he's really hungry.

I have found that he sleeps best at night when I don't let him nap too long during the day. He likes to take little cat naps, but if I wake him up after 30 minutes or so, he sleeps longer stretches at night. In fact last night, we fed him at 8:15pm, he fell asleep around 9pm & didn't wake up until 3:15am. That's 7 hours between feedings! However, after he gets up that initial time, he is usually back up within 3 hours every feeding after that. Now if only I would get to bed at the same time & get the same number of hours sleep.

We celebrated Vince's birthday on Friday. I cooked him filet mignon, baked potatoes, greens, and chocolate cake. It was a nice quiet dinner at home. In fact we partied so hard, Vince & Evan had to take a nap on Saturday together. Two of my favorite men:

1 comment:

  1. aw, that is the most precious picture! I hate that you have to go back to work, too. But I understand first hand how hard it is to survive on one income!

    ReplyDelete