Sunday, November 21, 2010

HP at IMAX

After church today, Vince & I ate our second Thanksgiving meal with his parents. Our church had a free Thanksgiving dinner for everyone. They do this every year & it's always really good food. After lunch, we (we meaning I) decided that we were going to watch the new Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1. I wanted to see it in IMAX and Simpsonville opened a new IMAX theater. This is much closer than having to drive to Atlanta to see it. Vince's parents joined us for our afternoon matinee.

I started reading the HP book again so I could refresh my memory on what all happened. Vince & I also watched the 6th movie last night to refresh his memory on where we left off with the movies. We were all set to watch this movie. And it did not disappoint (well, not too much).

Here's my overall review:
1. It was way too rushed in some important areas. Some of the scenes in the beginning felt like they were just thrown in without explaining much about what was going on. If you read the books, you'll be fine, but if you've only watched the movies, you'll be wondering things like what the wedding is all about & who are the people getting married.

2. New characters were not developed well in the movie. Some new characters to the movies were just thrown in at odd times. Some of the previous movies left out some of these important characters (I guess to save time??), but for this movie they decided to bring them into the picture. The whole Weasley family was very underdeveloped & they could have spent a couple more minutes developing all the brothers in this family. They also just threw in Mundungus & didn't explain his role very well at all. And Luna's dad's occupation wasn't explained very well either.

3. In the 6th movie, out of nowhere, they decided that the death eaters should blow up the Weasley's house, but in the 7th movie, they have everyone meeting there for the wedding as if it never was destroyed. Kind of a weird flaw of the 6th movie. I had no idea why they did that in the 6th movie unless it was just to throw in one more thing blowing up.

4. They didn't explain Mad Eye Moody's eye in Umbridge's door.

5. The graphics were well done. Although I'm not a big fan of the camera bumping along with the characters. It makes things a bit dizzy feeling.

6. The movie kept my attention the whole time (except for the 2.13 minutes that I had to run to the restroom after sucking down a Coke).

7. I'm ready to watch all the movies in order again including the new one.

I'm currently reading the Deathly Hallows and when I finish it, I would like to go back & read all the books again. Since they are so large, I was hoping to that I could download them to my ebook, but the author has not released them to digital copy yet. Drat. Guess I'll have to lug around the heavy books for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment