Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving Preview Meal

When I first moved to SC, I would travel to Kim's house or one of Dad's brother's houses for Thanksgiving. Then when Rachel moved to SC, we started doing our own SC Thanksgiving meals. I did Thanksgiving with Rachel for several years. Then after meeting Vince, we started a Gatlinburg Thanksgiving tradition. It's great to go out of town & have someone else do all the cooking, but I love being able to eat all the traditional food just the way I like it. What better way to do that then to make a preview meal of Thanksgiving at my house.

Tonight we invited Barbara & Jerry over for a turkey dinner. I have not made a turkey at home in at least 3 years. My roaster oven was getting tired of sitting in the garage unused. Last night I did some prep work so I wouldn't have to do as much when I got home this evening. I bought the boil-in-a-bag sweet potato souffle from Wade's. I boiled the bag & put them in a baking dish last night. This by far is mine & Vince's favorite sweet potatoes ever - anywhere. I also mixed the green bean casserole up in another dish. And I soaked the turkey in a brine solution overnight. I decided to use all the good china and set the table last night.

At lunch today, I came home (after eating some Peach Blossom spaghetti) and started the turkey in the roaster oven. I slathered it with butter & some spices. When I got home from work this evening, the turkey looked fabulous & golden brown. The butter really helps brown it in the roaster oven. I put the neck bone on to cook for the gravy, started the dressing, & threw the green beans & sweet potatoes in the oven. I then mixed the fruit cocktail & cool whip for the fruit salad. Then I mixed the whole cranberries, crushed pineapple, and walnuts for a cranberry salad.

The gravy was the last thing I fixed right before we sat down to dinner. It all turned out really good! I love being able to use all the good china as well. (And thanks to Vince & Barbara for helping hand wash all the dishes!) Now I'm ready for the real deal next week! Gobble gobble!

No comments:

Post a Comment