Friday, March 2, 2012

38 Week Check Up

One week from today & we'll be parents! I went to the doctor this morning for my last check up before I check into the hospital next week. Dr. Pereyo said I measured at 37 1/2 weeks with the measuring tape. You know, I still have no idea how they know that as each woman is different in size. They only listened to the heart beat for a minute with the little hand held device. Baby's HR was 131. So I didn't get hooked up to the NST machine today. My BP was 120/70. I lost 2 pounds since last week, so my total weight gain is 16 pounds. I half way attribute this to the different scales in the office & half way to the baby soaking up all my extra calories at this point because I have not missed any meals or snacks.

The doctor checked my cervix for the first time and I am dialated to a 1. He said I'm about 1/2 way thinned out. I thought this was great (not the checking part as that was uncomfortable, but the numbers part). He said it's not as much as he wants it to be for my induction next week. So he moved my check in time to Thursday evening at 5:15pm. They will insert medicine called Cervadil in my cervix for 12 hours to thin it the rest of the way. He compared it to the baby hitting a brick wall & he wants to make it more like a paper wall. So I will go in at 5:15 that evening, then at 5:15am on Friday, they will remove the Cervadil (it's on this long string). Dr. Goodlett will be on call that night. Then when Dr. Pereyo gets there Friday morning at 8am, he said he will break my water first thing to speed up the process.

So I'm hoping for a quick & speedy delivery with all this prep work going on.

I took a breastfeeding class last night for free at the hospital. The lacation nurse had lots of great info so I'm feeling more confident about this process. I even took my breast pump for her to show me how to use it after class & every single person stayed to watch her demo on how to hook up all the parts. There were about 18 to 20 people in class. Some of the best advice she gave was to make sure the baby or the pump drains the entire breast. The leftover milk is what can cause problems later like infections or engorgement. I also am taking my own Lanolin cream as I just found out today that my friend was charged $208 on her hospital bill for a little tube. I got a tube from my cool ZTA sisters for free!

The baby has been doing this thing lately where he tightens everything up in a hard ball. I think he's pushing his booty, spine & knees out like a rollie-pollie & makes my tummy hard as a rock. Last night his foot moved up & down my tummy over & over again, like he was practicing walking in there. It was so funny to watch it. His most awake time is in the evenings from about 8pm to 10pm or so. It's worked out great as that is when Vince is home & can see & feel him moving around a lot.

The baby has dropped even more this week and it's been more of a challenge to walk without a waddle. I can almost feel my hip bones expanding as they ache a little when I first stand or lay on one side too long. I'm still not sleeping great, but it's mostly due to being so stuffed up at night. The stuffy nose is driving me crazy. I also started getting swollen ankles again the last two days. I've been keeping them propped up so I think it's just my body once again getting ready for things to happen. I haven't felt any contractions at all, but my mom & sister said they didn't either, as they had mostly back pain. So when my back starts hurting, maybe I'll know something is happening. So the count down is on!! 7 more days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment