Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Baby Schedule

Our baby is on such a great schedule. He's a great baby as well. He rarely cries - only when wet. And he cries immediately when he's wet. He will not eat or sleep if he has a wet diaper. And when you change his diaper, he will wet again immediately. He is the two diaper champ of wet diapers. He sometimes fusses just a minute if he's really tired and getting to sleep, but for the most part, he's a very good baby that doesn't cry much at all.

Evan did not latch on good to me at the hospital, nor would he take the regular nipples on the bottles. Since he was only 5 pounds and not latching on, the lactation consultant advised giving him formula in order for him to maintain his weight. She also recommended a speech therapist who came by and worked with Evan on 4 different nipples, and stimulated his mouth for him to accept one. He took to the one that is designed for cleft palettes. So I started pumping for milk and Evan started on Similac. These special nipples are only available on line so we ordered them quickly as the hospital only gave us 2. After two weeks, my milk is still not pumping out very much at all, but I am giving him whatever I can pump along with the Similac. I usually only pump about 5 ML, but one day I did pump as much as 25 ML. I'm not sure how long I'll keep it up since it's just a trickle, but I know these first few weeks are the important ones.

If Evan doesn't gain enough weight by Monday, his pediatrician will recommend increasing his caloric intake. He seems to be gaining weight to me. In fact, we got a nice scale from my aunt & cousin & have been weighing him on it. He was 5 lbs 15 oz on Friday. I'm hoping today that he'll be over 6 pounds. His face is looking a little fuller to me.

He has been eating every 2 to 4 hours, with 3 hours being his most popular time in between feedings. At night, he stretches it to 4 hours, which is fine by me. During the day, he sometimes barely makes 2 hours and acts like we were starving him, but I think he's just growing during that time. He's up to about 45 ML per feeding now. He's also a really good burper and rarely spits any up. However, if he does, it usually comes out his nose. He's only done that about 4 times in the last 2 weeks. It's kind of gross & we have to use the nose bulb.

As for night time duty, I've been trying to go to bed by 9pm. Vince stays up later and does the night time duty. He usually brings him to bed around 11pm or 12am. Then I get up for the next couple of feedings. We usually feed him around midnight, 3:30am, and 7:30am. If I get to go back to sleep after 7:30am, it's really nice, but inevitably, our phone rings by 9am every single day. It's either family, co-worker, doctor, or someone, but it reminds us that the rest of the world is up and we should be too. We are usually up & dressed by 10 or 10:30am, which is really late compared to my former 7am days. But it allows us to get the sleep we want and not be tired throughout the day.

It's been a great 2 weeks! With Vince going back to work on Monday, I know our schedule may change some, but I'm hoping it will stay pretty similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment