Wednesday, December 7, 2011

26 Weeks

This past week I went to the doctor for my 25 week check up. After failing the 1 hour glucose screening, I went back this week to do the 3 hour glucose test (GTT). I arrived at 8:15am Monday morning. Luckily, I ate a late snack around 10:30pm so I wouldn't be starving first thing in the morning. I watched my sugar all weekend and ate healthy. At 8:35, they pricked my finger for a starting number & gave me the orange drink to chug. I scored 86 as my starting number. Under 90 is considered good. I then proceeded to sit & wait for the next three hours, with them pricking my (same) finger each hour.



At 9:35am, I scored 201. The tolerance was 190. Failed that one (and was starving and thirsty at this point). At 10:35am, I scored 210. The tolerance was 165. Failed number two. At 11:35am, I scored 165. The tolerance was 140. So I officially have gestational diabetes. According to everything online, if you score over 200 on any one of the hours, you have it. The good news is that I got over 100 pages read of my new book The Night Circus that I'm supposed to have read by this Sunday's book club meeting. So far it's a great book, so it's an easy read.


The next step will be for them to refer me to an endocrynologist specialist. They're going to fax them my results and that office will call to schedule an appointment. I haven't heard anything from them yet. My next ultrasound will be at 28 weeks, on Dec 19 at 8am. It will be interesting to see how big the baby has gotten. This week I've had swollen feet almost daily. I also hurt my shoulder by sleeping on it wrong. The chiropractor said my clavicle was out of whack. So I'm trying to sleep better and hope it feels better soon.


My sister Kim had gestational diabetes with all her kids. She controlled it with a special diet and they all turned out fine. So I'm hoping that's all there is to it. I already looked up some good diet plans online so I'm all set. Oh, and since I failed my iron test last week, I made New York strip steak and sweet potatoes for dinner last night! Vince is excited about all the red meat we'll be eating.


Since I have a lot of baking for Christmas parties to do, I knew I wouldn't feel much like cooking dinner over the next few weeks. So last night, I made 10 large ziplocs of crock-pot dinners. I bought the meat, canned goods, and veggies and started chopping and separating into the different bags. I ended up making 4 soups and 6 meals that will be ready to go from the freezer to the crock-pot, seasoning and all. I hope they turn out great!

1 comment:

  1. I know it kinda sucks, but I agree that it can be controlled by diet! And after the baby comes, you'll be back to normal!

    ReplyDelete