Since I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, I had to go to a 2 hour class last Friday at the Endocrynoligist's office. The first part of the class went over the meaning of gestational diabetes and then we each got a One Touch blood sugar monitor. There were 3 other girls in the class with me. The nurse showed us how to change out the needle, prick our finger, and use the machine to get our score. I have to prick my finger in the morning before eating and score below 95. I then have to prick it 2 hours after each main meal and score below 120. Since Friday, I have been under the limit each time. This first time I did it, it had to be under 120 since it was after lunch. I got a 95.

The second half of the class was taught by the dietician. She went over how to count carbs and how many we could have for each meal or snack. We can have 30 carbs for breakfast, 45 for lunch, and 45 for dinner. Then we can have 3 snacks at 15 carbs each. She went over portion sizes and what kinds of foods are good or bad & how to read a food label. She said to just monitor our numbers and if we are getting too high or over our limit, then to cut back on carbs. If we have a lot of wiggle room, then we can add more carbs. If I go way over even cutting back carbs, then I would have to go on insulin. My goal is to control the diabetes with my diet & so far, I'm right on track!
you can do this!
ReplyDelete