Vince took me up to Chimney Rock for Labor Day. Neither of us had to work today so I was looking forward to doing a day trip to somewhere. I wasn't sure if Vince was taking me to the Biltmore or Chimney Rock until we pulled off the interstate on the Chimney Rock exit. We had not gone to Chimney Rock via Highway 64 before, since we've always gone up highway 9 past Lake Lure. This time we drove through Bat Cave right in the middle of apple season. I have never seen so many apple farms all open for business on this 9 mile stretch of highway. We stopped at one on the way back home from Chimeny Rock and bought apple cider and some Jonagold apples.
When we got to Chimney Rock, we stopped at the last picnic table before getting to the top parking lot. I had packed sandwiches, pickles, chips, and cookies. I shared my sandwich with a bee that would not leave me alone. It kept landing on my sandwich until finally Vince squished it with his water bottle. We parked at the top near the entrance and decided to walk up hundreds of steps to the top of the chimney and enjoyed the view, then took the elevator back down. When we drove back down to the town, we were able to walk through several stores before they started closing up.
Vince enjoyed this Harley manequin outside their store.
The town was really crowded when we first got there, but traffic was thinning out as we were leaving. Our last stop was the apple store where we bought our cider & apples. They poured the cider from this huge container with a gasoline-looking pump into our container. It was so fresh & they let us have a free sample. Speaking of apples, I just made a batch of apple butter yesterday with some store bought apples. I wish I had waited! These apples look so much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment