Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sunday at the Zoo


On Sunday afternoon, Vince & I decided to visit the Greenville Zoo for the first time. I must say that I was quite impressed with the layout and the upscale feel of the entire park. When we first arrived, we parked near a ton of picnic tables & got out to enjoy our late lunch. I unpacked everything & sat down only to jump back up in pain about 3 seconds later. Apparantly someone had left some of their lunch under the picnic table so there were a million ants enjoying it. My foot landed right in the middle of the ants. I rarely ever wear sandals or flip flops, but finally found some that are really comfortable to walk in so I had them on. A black ant (which could be a variety of a fire ant) bit me on top of my foot near my pinky toe. We packed up our lunch & moved down several tables to the next one under a shade tree.

The zoo had nice habitats and the layout was really well done. The landscaping and cleanliness were excellent. I was a little disappointed in the number of big cats (only 1 male lion & 1 ocelot), but overall it was a really nice zoo. We did see a tiny little dead snake on the path & a little while later, we saw the snakes crossing sign. I'm glad the one we saw outside a cage was not alive. The live ones were in a cooled indoor area behind glass.

The playground at the park right outside the zoo entrance was amazing. There were so many swings, slides, and more for kids to play on. Many of them were covered in large tarps so the equipment would not get hot or rained on much. The park had tennis courts, walking trails, and so much more. It's definitely one of my new favorite spots & only about 20 minutes from our house. Except for the ant bite, it was a great day trip. Vince even got home in time to work on his car. I got home in time to read the last of the three book series, The Hunger Games. All three of these books had me on edge the whole time, waiting to see what would happen. They were very hard to put down. I hear a movie is in the makings for the first book but probably won't be out until 2012 or 2013. By then, I'll have to read them again to remember all the details.
This chicken had an afro.

No comments:

Post a Comment