After church today, Vince & I ate brunch at O'Charley's and then came back to the house. I had to deliver a cake at 2pm for a birthday. After I got back, Vince surprised me by suggesting a trip to Asheville. His parents had brought a change of clothes with them so we all went on a road trip. I have never been to the Western North Carolina (WNC) Farmer's Market but Vince told me all about it last week. I was so excited that this was our first stop. I got some tulip flower bulbs from the green house & then I could have spent all day in the food vendor buildings.
Apples are in season right now, as well as pears, but the only pears I found were small and didn't look great. So I got some more jonagold apples (which look exactly like a honey crisp apple I bought in Ingles this week and not so much like the jonagolds I got in NC last weekend - but still look great). I also bought some string beans, small white potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, habenero cheese, 5 year old aged sharp cheddar cheese, and roasted cinnamon cashews. The prices weren't too bad either. I was too busy shopping to take a single picture at the market.
After we left, we decided to go to Antler Hill Village at the Biltmore and eat dinner. We tried the new restaurant there called Cedric's Tavern. I had a ham & cheese fondue with crustini bread and a fried egg. No, really, it was fried. I usually hate fried eggs, but this one happened to be boiled, breaded, and then deep fried. The menu said "Scotch Eggs" for $4.00. But it was just one egg for $4.00. It was really good and something very different, but not sure I would've paid $4.00 for one egg. The fondue was good as well. I love trying new things in new restaurants.
We also enjoyed looking in the building with lots of the Vanderbilt family history displayed.
No comments:
Post a Comment