Sunday, July 18, 2010

Trans Am Car Show at the Beach

On Friday morning, Vince & I planned to leave around 8am to head to Georgetown, SC. I got up around 6:30am to do my Insanity workout & we were ready around 8am. We were waiting for Vince's parents when they called to say they were waiting for us at Denney's. We had completely forgotten that we were going to meet them there to save time. In any case, we finally met them over there & got on the road shortly after 8am.

I had never been to Georgetown so it was nice to see it. We met Vince's Aunt Evelyn and had a nice lunch at Land's End right on the water. The fish & chips were quite good. Aunt Evelyn then showed us around historic Georgetown & we got a lovely tour of her house. One thing that really impressed me about her house is that every room has 2 ways out in case of fire.


We arrived at Myrtle Beach around 4:30pm and were able to check into our rooms. Our first impression was that the elevators were sllloooowww. And this theme stayed true throughout our stay. We did find another set of elevators, but they too were slow & very old. This hotel had mixed reviews when I booked it, but overall, I was very pleased with it. Our room was very newly renovated. It had brand new furniture, carpet, tile floors, marble counter tops, new tubs, and a large flat screen TV. The view was interesting. Every room had a view of the beach, but the rooms were angled such that other rooms could also slightly look in each other's rooms as well.

(Look closely at this picture & you'll see Barbara & Jerry waving to us. We were in the parking garage on the 5th floor while they were at the hotel on the 10th floor).




This hotel had an indoor pool, a huge outdoor pool, 2 hot tubs inside, 1 hot tub outside, and a baby pool. It had a really nice shower to wash off the sand coming in from the beach. And the restaurant had great food. We ate our breakfast there both mornings.



The parking was across the street in a garage. The layout of the garage was horrible. Each ramp was so narrow & the turns were so sharp, you could see lots of black bumper marks & gouges on each level. It was free & convenient, but not very car friendly.


In any case, enough about the accommodations, & back to the reason for our trip. On Friday evening, we went to Burkey's Grill for a F-body Drive In. F-body refers to Trans Am and Camaro body styles. We saw several nice cars that night & even met one guy that owns a Trans Am that lives 5 minutes from our house. Friday night we ate at an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet. I had Alaskan white fish, chicken, and prime rib. The coconut cream pie was the best. Vince & I took a late night stroll out on the beach and watched some idiot teenagers shoot off some fireworks that kept everyone awake until 1:30 am. Yes, it is illegal to shoot fireworks on a beach, and no, the hotel didn't do anything about it.




On Saturday morning, we went to the official car show at the Murrell's Inlet Square mall (not the one at Myrtle Beach as we first thought). They had over 160 cars registered. We spent several hours walking around in the hot sun admiring all the different ones. I was so glad I brought sunscreen, a hat, and a mini fan.








We ate lunch at Broadway on the Beach at the Hard Rock Cafe. Yum! We strolled around a bit & I got an ice cream cone. After our lunch, we went back to the hotel where I had my food coma in a lounge chair by the pool while staring out at the ocean. While still sweaty, I decided to do my Insanity workout in the hotel room with my handy dandy laptop. This was my last workout for week 4. Next week I do the recovery workout every day.


Saturday evening, we ate a lovely meal at an Italian restaurant nearby called Renando's. The food was really good. In fact, Vince & I both brought 1/2 of ours home as a souvenir to enjoy later. I wish we had a lot more time to swim in the pool & hang out on the beach. This trip went by way too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment