Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Carnival Legend Day 7

On our last day at sea, I wanted to do two things on the agenda that day. 1. art auction and 2. kitchen galley tour. Well apparantly I had no idea that the 1pm art auction would last 3 and 1/2 hours. We missed the galley tour. But we did bid on a Thomas Kinkade picture & won it! I had never bid on art work before. I have been to several of the Park West Galleries art auctions on other cruise ships but just to learn about art. I also have never seen so many people actually buying the art as I did on this ship. One lady bid over $6000 for a collection of 4 pictures. Other people also spent thousands of dollars. This was NOT our plan. We bid on a nice Kinkade called Sea of Tranquility & got it for less than $300, plus 15% plus shipping.

Vince & I both have wanted a Kinkade painting for a while. We've been in several of the Thomas Kinkade galleries and usually the ones I want are over $2000. This one is a certified lithograph painting that comes with papers. Woo hoo! It will also go nicely with our other paintings in our living room. We will have to get it framed which will cost a bit of money, but I'm so excited to get it! It should be here in a few weeks.

We ate a quick hamburger on the Lido deck after the really long art auction. I was starving, but didn't want to eat too much since we were having our really nice dinner in the steak house this night. We dressed up nicely for dinner and headed to the Golden Fleece Steakhouse at the top of the ship on deck 10. It is normally $30 per person to eat there, but I had won dinner for 2 earlier in the week.
We arrived shortly before 7pm and had the best service. We had 4 different waiters/waitresses that waited on us and the food was soooo good. It really was unbelievable. They first brought us a tiny little pre-appetizer without us ordering anything. They brought me salmon corn chowder in a wee little pot that had about 5 spoonfuls in it. Vince had a cracker thing with something on top. My little soup was really tasty. They brought us 2 types of bread as well. I started with the baked onion soup, which is similar to french onion but 100 times better flavor. They brought the salad making station up to the table on a cart & made my caesar salad tableside. I passed on the anchovies. We both ordered the filet mignon & lobster tail. Of course, I'm allergic to lobster, so Vince had to eat 2 of them plus his steak. I also had a baked potato while he had the mashed potatoes. At this point, I was getting way too stuffed. People around us ordered the 5 mini chocolate desserts tray or the huge cheesecake, or baked apple tart. But not us! I ordered the cheese sample tray & Vince got the fruit cup. The lady really tried to get us to get one of their more interesting desserts, but we were already feeling fat and full after eating for 7 days straight. The cheeses & fruit were great! We also saw our usual table mates, Steve & Debbie as they were leaving the steakhouse.








The last show was a musical show that included guests that had tried out for some of the roles such as James Brown and Madonna. They did pretty good. We also played our last game of bingo, but didn't win the $1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment