Last night Vince & I attended the Chef's Auction to benefit the March of Dimes at the Marriott downtown Spartanburg. It was such a fun evening. It was my first benefit dinner for this charity. I've been to several for United Way and others here & there, but not March of Dimes. They had 7 stations set up with food from various chefs around town. Each one prepared 2 small sample dishes to try. I'm sure they were all good, but unfortunately, 5 out of 7 had a shell fish dish to sample & in fact 3 of them served scallops. What is it with people that feel the need to serve shell fish as the only food these days? I tried the side dish or dessert dish at most tables. I had a bite of pork and a bite of trout. Other than that, I had to eat a lot of sweets. Everything smelled wonderful. A couple of folks had soup & both of them were seafood as well. It would have been nice if someone had steak, someone had chicken, and only 1 or 2 had seafood.
Okay, enough ranting about not getting to eat much. The other part of the night was the silent auction followed by the live auction. Vince & I bid on a couple of items & ended up winning one. We didn't bid on the live auction items as all of them were going for over $500. Most of them were dinners for your 10 - 25 closest friends by one of the chefs. We didn't want to feed our friends for $700. Sorry guys, we like you & all, but we're not dropping that kind of money on you. It was fun to watch other people bid on the items.
Now on to the dress code. Apparantly when my co-worker asked me to go represent our company he forgot to tell me it was a black tie affair. So I show up in my plaid wool skirt & tall boots. Every other lady is wearing silk or chiffon evening gowns. Um, oops. Vince looked nice. He grabbed a dinner jacket on the way out, but he didn't have on a tie. We looked nice, but not quite black tie nice. Next year, we'll know to spiff things up a bit. But hey, we got free food & a really nice evening out on the town! And Vince got to meet the emcee, Fox Carolina's Greg Funderburk.
Okay, enough ranting about not getting to eat much. The other part of the night was the silent auction followed by the live auction. Vince & I bid on a couple of items & ended up winning one. We didn't bid on the live auction items as all of them were going for over $500. Most of them were dinners for your 10 - 25 closest friends by one of the chefs. We didn't want to feed our friends for $700. Sorry guys, we like you & all, but we're not dropping that kind of money on you. It was fun to watch other people bid on the items.
Now on to the dress code. Apparantly when my co-worker asked me to go represent our company he forgot to tell me it was a black tie affair. So I show up in my plaid wool skirt & tall boots. Every other lady is wearing silk or chiffon evening gowns. Um, oops. Vince looked nice. He grabbed a dinner jacket on the way out, but he didn't have on a tie. We looked nice, but not quite black tie nice. Next year, we'll know to spiff things up a bit. But hey, we got free food & a really nice evening out on the town! And Vince got to meet the emcee, Fox Carolina's Greg Funderburk.
No comments:
Post a Comment