Friday, October 15, 2010

Chicken Stew for Family & Friends

This week I wanted to make a meal for my in-laws & for my friend Julie & her family. Jerry had a procedure this week for kidney stones. Julie had a new baby & finally got to bring the baby home this week from NICU. I decided to make something hearty, yet light. It's been getting cooler outside so I decided on making some chicken stew. I've never made chicken stew before so I just thought about all the ingredients I would like in it.

I cooked 5 chicken breasts in my stoneware after applying chicken seasoning and chipotle seasoning. I cut up the cooked chicken & put it in my large crock pot. I then added a bunch of the following (I didn't really measure much):
low sodium chicken broth
Healthy Request cream of mushroom & cream of celery
cilantro paste
parsley paste (I found these new pastes at Publix in a squeeze tube)
seasoned creamed corn
white wine
Paula Deen's silly salt
chopped green, red & yellow peppers
chopped yellow onions

I let it cook for a couple of hours & then added orzo. It actually turned out pretty great. I found some new crackers that make it just perfect - Wheat Thins new baked veggie chips. After work I took a batch to Julie & Jason. Baby Ivy is so cute & so teeny tiny. I then took a second batch to Barbara & Jerry. We chatted for a bit & then I came home to eat dinner with Vince. We also ate the chicken stew. It was fun being able to visit with friends & family & share the same dinner, although we didn't really eat it at the same time.

Next week I may make some white chicken chili or some regular chili. I love soup season!

1 comment: