For the first time, I finally figured out how to use luster dust on cakes. I've seen many cakes with silver or gold fondant & wondered how they did it. They don't make silver or gold frosting or fondant. They make a powder called luster dust. You mix it with vodka and paint it on fondant. I know what you're thinking...vodka??? Yep. Apparantly, it's a quick drying agent that evaporates quickly. So you don't actually have hard liquor on your cake, it just helps the silver paint go on quickly and smoothly. The cake I made last night was a sword. I tinted the fondant grey and then painted on the silver luster dust. It turned out so great! I love using all the new tips and techniques I've learned with fondant.
Vince treated me to Mexican tonight at Corona's. It was so nice to get out & go on a quick date with my hubby. We actually had run by Sam's to try & get a new battery for his car (it died today as soon as he pulled in the driveway). But they didn't have the exact type he was looking for, so we ate Mexican instead. I also had a hard core work out right after work today. The Insanity video of choice today was Pure Cardio. It is by far his toughest one yet. Every person in that video was on their knees crawling by the time the last few moves came around, including the instructor. I definitely burned some calories.
No comments:
Post a Comment