Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fun Weekend

This week went by rather quickly. On Thursday evening, Vince & I were going to go to the drag races, but it rained. On Friday night, we were going to go to the rodeo, but it rained. So Friday night, we decided to go to Olive Garden & spend our gift card we had since Christmas. We enjoyed a wonderful meal & made it to the theater in time to use our free movie tickets I've had since before Christmas. We saw The Other Guys with Will Farrell and Mark Wahlberg. The movie was so funny. It had a lot of language & pretty powerful action scenes in it, so I wouldn't recommend it to children.

On Saturday we got up and started cleaning like mad people. We both attacked the house with a vengence. It hasn't looked this good in a long time. Vince also mowed the grass. Since it's rained 5 days the last week, the grass was beginning to get tall again. We haven't mowed it in over a month (since before July 4th). Vince had to mow over some sections twice...and yes, it was hot. I had to weed the flower bed since the grass had completely invaded it in one week. So after we got our house & yard looking lovely, I started cooking dinner.

We invited a couple of friends over for our first ever hotluck dinner. We got this idea from some show on TV. Friends gather together to enjoy some hot & spicy food. I made some jalepeno stuffed meatballs, spicy baked beans, and spicy potato wedges. My friends brought some hot cheese dip & chips, cole slaw & pasta salad. For dessert we enjoyed some brownies made with some chili powder & ice cream.

After dinner, we ventured up to the pool so the 2 kids could swim in our community pool. We were there about 5 minutes when 25 people showed up from a birthday party. It was 8:30pm and quite late for kids swimming. In fact, from 9pm - 11pm, it is adult only swim time. So we were leaving at 9pm when the HOA president had to come down & try to kick out this party that crashed our pool. You're only allowed to have 2 guests per homeowner & I think 25 was over the limit. Also, you have to reserve the pool if you have a party, which I doubt they had done. I have no idea why some people feel it's okay to blatanly break all the rules & then try to argue with the HOA president about the rules. It's a very clear, black & white issue. If you pay dues, you get a pool key. If you have a pool key, then you know there are rules. If you get called out on them, tuck your tail between your legs & go home.

I also have no idea why people would plan a pool party for kids at 9pm at night. Unless of course, it's so you can sneak around and break the rules, oh, and be really bad parents. Our HOA president has to carry around an oxygen tank. This neighbor was raising her voice & trying to pretend she never knew about the rules. Who yells at a guy on oxygen? Some people have zero class. I just hope that next time I go to the pool, I don't see that lady or I might have to educate her.

Today was a pleasant day. We attended early service at church, as usual, and then ate lunch with Vince's parents at The Clock. Their portions are huge & delicious. This afternoon, we went to Vince's parents house. Vince collected some childhood memorabilia and I collected some family tree information to put on the website www.familyecho.com. I've created a huge family tree with all of our info on it. It's so convenient to have everything on line these days.

I wish I had a longer weekend to relax and enjoy the warm weather. Maybe one day they will have 2 day work weeks & 5 day weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment